Saturday, April 9, 2011

I want cookies… (A blast from the past

I recently came across this in one of my notebooks, I think I wrote it one day when my kids were taking a test. I apologize for it being approximately 9 months late……

Well not too much has happened so this will be brief, but I wanted to post something so I wouldn’t be harassed by my parental figures (apparently international nagging works (actually, considering the tardiness of this, I suppose it doesn’t…)) The month of August brought a bit of unrest to the Honduran school system which meant the teachers were on strike for (literally) the whole month of August. Therefore August went something like this:
  • Wake up, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, eat, clean, bored, hammock, bored, coffee, bored, computer, bored, bored, bored, bored, eat, bored, sleep.
Needless to say, August wasn’t my favorite of months. I did read a whole lot of books; so many in fact I am growing concerned as it appears very likely my addiction to kindle books may bankrupt me. Despite the overwhelming boredom, there were several highlights:

Noche de Fumadores: Night of the smokers
Well, as you all know there is nothing I love more than a big fat stogie, so this was a perfect night for me! Jusssst kidding, I remain anti-lung cancer but it was a lot of fun. At least 70 volunteers converged upon a town called Santa Rosa for the event. We all got dressed up and paid a cover fee to get into the event and were showered with food, drinks, and cigars. It was a great night because I got to meet a lot of new volunteers and see people I hadn’t seen since swear in, all while supporting local businesses.

English Classes with Junior
I started to give English “classes” to one of my friend’s 3 year old son. He was actually born in the US and they used to live right down the road in Tyson’s Corner! Anyway, despite my best efforts (each class usually lasts approximately 4 minutes until he sees something shiny/sticky/moving/not moving/etc and moves on) the only thing he will say is “I want cookies.” Far from being discouraged, I identify with the little bugger and admire his steadfastness. There are many days when I also only want cookies.

That’s pretty much it. I’m still giving the same classes as before. I actually am sitting in a class right now as they take a test, and I just came from one. The one I just came from was a doozie; let’s just say I have decided I never want to own a 14 year old boy. Love to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment