- Stare at the wall
- Pout/be grumpy/eat feelings
- Try to watch Kung Fu Panda only to realize that the version you bought off the street doesn’t work, swear, repeat above
And once the curfew was loosened a bit/other stuff I have been doing:
- Best day by far was this Saturday. There was only a toque de queda (curfew) at night so we all got together for the day. We played a YD versus PAM (protected areas management) soccer game. It started out a bit rough because we (the YD team) were missing our key players (aka the ones that can actually play soccer), but they eventually showed up and we had a good time. Then we all went back to one volunteer’s casa and his family had a BBQ for us. There is nothing like beer and carne asada to perk you up after a week of toque de queda-ing. Unfortunately, all of us that live in my neck of the woods had to leave early to make it home before the toque, more unfortunately it was POURING, but it was well worth it.
- I went to Pizza Hut with the familia after mass. Mass was interesting… I was planning on trying to blend into the crowd and pretend I knew what I was doing/what they were saying but we got there and it turns out there were about 15 people in the service…whoops. Sort of awkward, especially since I didn’t have a hymn book or anything to pretend to read out of. So I just sorta moved my lips and swirled my hands around in an approximation of one of those cross circle things (never did get that down, sorry grammie). Anyway, after mass we went to Pizza Hut, I am sure you will all be interested to know that stuffed crust pizza tastes the same in Honduras. (this actually happened last Sunday but I forgot to write about it earlier and it is obviously vitally important to report…)
- I have been to jail in a foreign land. Sorry mom, I know it is one of your worst fears (I’ve seen you nervously skip past that show Locked up Abroad). The story: after training on Friday a bunch of us decided that we definitely deserved a cold beverage. We went to a roadside restaurant and spent about an hour there. Then, we all had to head home because of the toque. I walked into my house and was immediately pounced on by my little host sisters. One of them was playing with a jump rope and had a brilliant idea: tie up the gringa! It started with tying up my hands and then eventually evolved into me being tied to a chair in the office. They turned the lights off and left me in “solitary.” I won’t lie, I kinda liked solitary, it was nice and quiet and kidless. Then they would come back in the room…this is when it got ugly. They walked circles around me and periodically smacked me with ping pong rackets; I now know why jails down here have a nasty reputation. And don’t you worry…I got to play jail again the next night!
- Unfortunately jail is not the worst game I have played. Hairstylist is. I don’t think I need to go into details but I will just say: 4 year old+6 year old+ comb+ rubber bands+ gel= pain. It also equals awkwardness because i have to wear my hair like a crazy person to dinner.
So…that is what I have been up too. Also I uploaded a bunch of pictures finally so enjoy. Please excuse my appearance in all the photos…I’m going through an awkward stage? I also added some pictures to old blog posts so scroll around a little if you want. Miss you all, hopefully my next post will be from Colomoncagua!
No comments:
Post a Comment