I am bored. It is 9:30 Saturday morning and I have once again already completed all of my tasks too early. BUT the internet is being shockingly fast today so I decided to post again. Training is winding down, and I have mixed feelings. I am definitely ready to be done with the long days of classes but I will miss having gringo time. I had my final site interview yesterday and now I am about 98% sure I know where my site will be! I think I am going to be living in Colomoncagua, Intibuca. I am really excited because it seems like a really pretty place, I have good counterparts and it is right near the border of El Salvador. Hopefully my guess is correct and I don’t end up looking like an ass for posting this (although at this point it doesn’t really matter because I am pretty certain all my other entries make me look like an ass)… I will be about an hour away from the closest volunteer, not too shabby. Hopefully my Spanish will improve dramatically since I won’t be able to speak any English at all.
Last post I wrote about my host family and I want to take a couple more seconds praising them because they are really great. One of my host sisters is 20 and she is wonderful (despite the mondongo). She always jokes around with me and is very patient with my Spanish. The night I threw up on the church she was super nice and texted me every time I got up in the middle of the night to make sure I was okay. She also has sent me text messages on nights that I am not sick but have instead drank 3 bottles of water right before bed at get up every 9 seconds to go to the bathroom (it reminds me of when SVP and Katie used to stay up at night in venable and count how many times I got up). My little host sister is sweet too, although she is definitely 9 and definitely loud. My host dad only comes on the weekends because he drives a cab in teguz but he is also really nice. I very rarely understand him so he now just mimes everything to me, it is pretty funny to see him mime “do you want a drink?” I am really going to miss them and I hope my next host family is as nice.
New exciting food update:
Yesterday for lunch I had hot dogs wrapped in meatloaf. It was interesting.
Charla update:
This week we had our big HIV/AIDS prevention training. We got to give a charla about safe sex etc to 18 9th graders (the 9th graders ranged in age from 14-18). Me and 3 other people gave a 3 hour charla (it was supposed to be 4, but they had band practice so it got cut to 3, and they showed up late so it really ended up being like 2 ½). It went pretty well, my spanish of course was terrible but I showed the kids how to put a condom on a banana so I think they forgave me. Obviously this was pretty awkward but we all had fun with it. I will be giving similar charlas in my community so rest assured that all the bananas in Honduras will be STI-free by the time I leave.
My group for independent projects (the one working with the group for kids with special needs) also gave our final charla. To be honest I really was not looking forward to it and neither was the rest of my group. We felt sort of disconnected from the project but we gave a charla on developing good self-esteem. We all went into it expecting disaster but it actually went really, really well and all the mom’s that attended were involved and talkative so we were all excited and pleasantly surprised. Now I just have to prepare myself for flying solo!
Sad and slightly creepy update:
The kittens all died. The one named sausage died on Monday (my little host sister casually mentioned this to me over lunch). Then I came home from class Tuesday and saw the mom cat carrying around another obviously dead kitten. It was really creepy and sad. I don’t know what they did with them but now the cat just walks around all day looking for her babies and crying. My little host sister and nice/cousinish took this in stride and I couldn’t help but think how differently I would have reacted when I was their age. I would have probably needed therapy for weeks. I guess I don’t have to worry about one being snuck into my suitcase now…
Futbol:
As some of you may know, I have been playing a lot of futbol here. There is a 5v5 field with artificial turf in town and myself and other volunteers (and sometimes teachers) go there to play a couple times a week. It is fun and we usually attract quite a crowd. I am really terrible, I can’t believe I once actually played soccer (and neither can anyone else). I guess you lose a lot of skills in 8 years. Last night we played and it started POARING. We were all soaked but were having a good time. Then the lights went out and it was pitch black. We couldn’t see anything, let alone the ball, so we had to give up and go home. Luckily Jessie’s host dad came to pick her up so I got to jalon (hitchhike) home. I showed up on the doorstep completely soaked and everyone had a good laugh.
I am now officially done with my laundry and thoroughly bored so I am going to go try to find someone to play with me. Miss you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment